Simon wrote:

> I think it would be great if we could place freely modules on the
> background, as it was possible with the old gadman thing. It would
> allow to have desklets like the ones in adesklets (ie. a cpu monitor
> with an histogram for example). Shelf are great for small modules,
> but not for modules that are supposed to display a lot of info
> (or it would need to use a popup, as the weather module does).

        The thing is that this use of 'desklet' type modules in e17,
while clearly desirable from some standpoints, also has some 'bad'
aspects.
        Not only would these kinds of things be limited to running
*only* in e17 (and dependent on its internals somehow), but they make
the window manager subject to any problems a given module may have,
and possibly subject to slow-downs and other issues.
        Either there will be only a small number of 'official' ones
that ever get used, thus limiting the very idea, or larger numbers
of arbitrary ones get used, thus exposing e17 to said issues (as well
as making the modules dependent on possible changes to e17 internals).

        I think it would be good to have freely placed modules in
e17... but I just wonder if this should be the main method for having
large numbers of interesting "desklets" kinds of things in e.

   jose.