It can't run on evas directly as it needs to know how to receive mouse
and key events. But, the Ewl engines are setup with dependencies. So, if
you take a look at evas_fb at the top you'll see an
ewl_engine_dependencies function that declares "evas" as it's parent.

It then just implements the engine creation (which creates the Evas) and
the key/mouse events. You can probably do something similar. You only
need to override when what Evas is doing that is wrong for your engine.

dan