On 7/15/07, Eric Wasylishen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi, I have a few questions related image loading.
>
> One thing I'm working on is an xmms2 client using ETK/evolve. I'd like
> it to show album cover art; the way the xmms2 client lib handles this
> is it gives you a pointer to an image file that was copied in to
> memory but not decoded. People using gtk have a function in gdk_pixbuf
> for this, which automatically determines the image format (probably
> jpg or png for covers) and decodes it, but as far as I can tell
> imlib2/evas lack this feature? (though I noticed epeg can load a jpeg
> file from memory.)
>
> One option I though of is just copying the loader code for say JPG and
> PNG from evas or imlib2 in to my app, and modifying it to do what I
> need. Or, would loading images from memory be useful enough to go in
> evas or imlib2?

Would be nice to have in evas.

> Another project I'd like to do is an image viewer where image loading
> doesn't block the GUI. After some reading my plan is to write a daemon
> which loads the image data in to shared memory for the gui app to
> access, though I'm not sure what advantages/disadvantages this would
> have over doing it in a thread.
> To get the best performance possible, I want it to load jpg's at a
> reduced size (epeg and evas can) and be able to cancel loading an
> image (only imlib2 can?) So far the best solution I can see is to use
> epeg and imlib2. Any better ideas?

You can read minds cant you? (=

I am currently working on this for Exhibit. The idea is to have a
worker process and the viewer, communicating (over dbus right now).
The worker does everything from loading large dirs, thumbs, sorting,
etc... When the results are ready, they are placed in SHM and a
message is sent to the client with the shmid. The client can then read
the data from SHM and do whatever it wants with it.

If you would like to discuss this idea some more, and perhaps
contribute, you can find me in #etk (CodeWarrior).

--
Hisham Mardam Bey
http://hisham.cc/