Gustavo wrote:

> I'm using a shelf at the right border with size set to HUGE
> (120px) and below all windows so it can be nice and use
> transparency, staying at the bottom of my desktop and working
> like KDE's superkaramba, GNOME desklets, Windows Vista gadgets
> and ...
>
> It works great, I'm using calendar, clock, forecast, cpu
> frequency and battery. Most looks good, but some could use
> better the big space, like calendar could scale the font,
> battery could be centered (with power indicator relative to it).
>
> I tried to fix calendar and could make some improvements, but
> it's hard to make things good at 40 and 120 pixels... also,
> 120 pixels is not that big, it could be 256 easily...
>
> So, my idea is either to provide larger shelf size or provide
> another shelf category, maybe desktop applets, that could be
> placed everywhere (if it makers hard to efm icons, then maybe
> disable those or make this new shelf attached to borders, with
> icons evicting it). Larger shelf is easy to add, just change
> the max constant, but I really thing the other option is more
> interesting, we could have more specialized applets, like,
> the calendar view could toggle between large Month-Day/Week-Day
> and full edje-beauty calendar, other modules could provide more
> information, like forecast could provide more info on click,
> using Edje, instead of opening another popup... but how feasible
> is this? Whats the directions to implement this?

        Ahhh... the desklets/applets thing. :) There was a thread
about this sometime back.

        I have some questions about this myself.. Like, what exactly
is an "icon"?  (vs. say a "gadget")
        How does a fm (or a wm) know how to 'draw' such a thing?
Where does it get info about the thing so that it knows what to do
about it?

        If the desktop (and/or fm) component can do whatever it now
does with "icons", and whatever else it does with "gadgets", then
why can't it do anything with "whizblings"? Or with "wambots", or
with ..... ?

   jose.