On Thu, 1 May 2008 03:58:14 -0300 "Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> babbled:

> Hi guys,
>
> As you can see from CVS log, I did some repacking of Evas_Object and
> managed to save more than 80 bytes, almost 1/3 of it is gone.
>
> While some aggressive packing went in, like "layer" number being a
> short now, I'm a bit unsure if applying the attached patch is a good
> thing. It will save 4 bytes from cur,prev, so it's 8 bytes in the end,
> but the solution is a bit ugly, as the members
> cache.clip.{visible,dirty} now are cache_clip_{visible,dirty} so it
> can be packed with the other bitfields. On one hand it saves memory,
> on the other it's ugly as hell :-P
>
> Apply or not? that's the question...

that is a good q. 80 bytes is not much., 80 bytes per object (where we likely
have 1000-10000 per app) is 80-800kb of savings. not to be sniffed at. one
thing i would think might buy a bit is a way to remove the need for the cache
entries at all - that may be more intrusive though code-wise and possibly lead
again to the bugs i added those entries in to solve (or require re-calculation
where now its a simple dirty + recalc where needed then lookup all the time)

as such i think its worth it - even for a bit of ugliness. we could... make..
macros to hide it? :)