On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 1:47 PM, Toma <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> 2008/7/27 Sthithaprajna Garapaty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>> So, I've been thinking, what else can we share on the Exchange.
>> One simple thing is screenshots. Screenshots are nice eye candy and
>> could be good for building a community/showing off E. But, beyond that
>> they have no practical use.
>>
>> A more complex thing is sharing parts of your E config. Like sharing
>> shelf layouts or gadget layouts. Or sharing sets of keybindings and
>> mouse bindings. Or sharing Window Locks and Remember settings.
>> Of course, you cant share them yet, they're in the monolithic e
>> config, so we need a module to pull them out of the config and put it
>> in a format that can be easily shared.
>> But, would it be useful to share these? Would anyone actually download them?
>>

> That all comes down to good 'Profiles' support right? I think desktop
> layout should be included in profile support. Another cool thing this
> could do, is add a sort of Profile hinting in the theme/ data then ask
> the user if they want to set that profile when the theme is applied.
> Another thing is allowing the user to say, "This is a replica of
> Raster's Desktop using his own Profile settings and theme! *Gloat
> Gloat* " Or even letting people try out different arrangements and
> feels without too much hassle.
>
> eg. heres an old layout I was using when tinkering with Fireball.
> (Ignore the Facebook)
> http://members.iinet.net.au/~haste/e17/layouttest.png

Well, profiles as they are implemented right now are not just parts of
the config, but the whole config.
And you can't just share your profile with someone and expect them to
take parts of it. Either they replace their entire config with it, or
they dont use it.
This is why, we need a module or something to split the config up
nicely and let you share small parts.

> Icon themes. You might all be aware im tinkering away with making a
> gnome2edje icon builder. Id like it to be able to pull all the needed
> files for things used internally for E, (like Theme, Virtual Desktops,
> Modules) which wont ever follow a specific MIME type icon. As such, an
> 'Icons' section would be nice with checks for
> 1. e/icons/enlightenment/e
> 2. e/icons/enlightenment/unknown
> 3. e/icons/enlightenment/configuration
> 4. e/icons/enlightenment/modules
> 5. e/icons/enlightenment/themes

You can already upload icon themes as themes (they're .edj files after all).
I'll add a filter to check for all those in the navigation menu soon.