On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 8:46 PM, The Rasterman Carsten Haitzler
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 20:54:36 +0100 Chidambar 'ilLogict' Zinnoury
> 2. all operations (copy, move, delete) have no progress on screen - if there
> is
> a queue of work (like delete this dir then copy this to here, move this to
> here
> etc.) you can't see it. the idea was to put such status inside the efm window
> in-line with where the action was initiated or where it belongs (eg if u
> delete
> a file in a dir then put the status in that dir).

what to do when window is closed? and when that folder is viewed
again? I'd like to have the progress even if I close the window...
either do not close it or when you close "detach" the progress status.

> 4. removable device handling (done via hal and dbus at least for the raw nuts
> and bolts) mostly seems to work but is a bit hackey the way it writes .desktop
> files to ~/.e/e/fileman/favorites then forcibly symlinks them to your Desktop
> -
> this could be cleaned up and made more robust with more options (eg also put
> them on other desktops eg Desktop-1 and -2 etc.).

I hate these links. IMHO they should be transparent.

Actually, the idea would be to follow kde's path to have directory
views of EFM and selectively choose to "show devices". That way we can
just have a EFM view with "show devices" to show our "~/Desktop" as a
gadman. We can even have multiple views in the same desktops (ie: ~/
and ~/Desktop) or different views per desktops (~/Desktop-1,
~/Desktop-2...)

With that I could choose to view ~/.empty-folder and "show devices" to
list just the external devices.

> 8. renaming files has a dialog - this is because it was hard to do before. now
> we can rename in-place. edje's own entry can now do this. this needs changing.

Even with edje support is remains difficult. You must ensure that the
edited text is visible (ie: you're editing next to a border, you
should pan/scroll to make sure it is visible).

> 11. while i'm at it the open with.. dialog is not bad - but the 2-list thing
> needs to go. 1 list. also ilist is again abused with a massive list of stuff
> (poor ilist. i need to make it possible for ilist to defer list adding and
> size
> calculation with an add queue). so likely that dialog could do with a toolbar
> at the top to select between applications that say they do handle that
> mime-type, and "all applications" as 2 separate lists and you switch between.

about ilist, using Smart's "changed" could help a lot and remove need
for freeze/thaw. Other than that we could port guarana's MVC list for
such thing, it's very fast when you have rows with the same renderer
(same edje group could be applied).

My personal items would be:

12. keyboard shortcuts: ^c, ^v, ^x...

13. enable easy open of efm at some folder, specially from cmdline...
efm ~/my-folder would be handy.

13. popup with preview options. plugin-able would rock, but at least
way to see more information about most used types (images, videos,
music, oo.org) would help, things like title, preview, date and like.
    I guess I could make it easier if I add individual file extraction
for LightMediaScanner. Today it's based on folders and every file is
stored on SQLite DB, maybe I can change that to make it more useful
for one-file users, including EFM.

And sure, we could use more EFL apps to handle files... things like
Eyelight (presentation viewer), Eyesight (document viewer, pdf...),
Enjoy (music player)... Most required, at least to me, are a document
(pdf, ps, ooo) viewer and photo viewer. Eyesight really need work to
be useful, Ephoto and Exhibit are not what I'd like to see my picture
directory, I'd like a quick viewer with easy and fancy slideshow, easy
to use zoom and possible exif and rotation support, until that I keep
using cmdline imagemagick's "display".

--
Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
http://profusion.mobi embedded systems