Hello,

As default E17 creates two icons "Root" and "Home" on my desktop. In
E17 they work well, but if I start e.g. Gnome they don't work good.

home.desktop:

URL=file:$HOME
Icon=fileman/home

For some reasons $HOME isn't respected in Gnome. And fileman/home isn't
displayed.

Similar for root.desktop:

URL=file:/
Icon=fileman/root

Here the link works, but also the icon isn't displayed.

I think if we install files in a well known and shared folder they
should work also in other environments. I don't know the freedesktop
spec at this point.

Are you sure that variable substitutions like $HOME are allowed in
.desktop files?

Don't you think there's a better way to point to uncommon icon
resources? Maybe something like "X-Enlightenment-Icon"? A fallback
"Icon" could be created automatic by the .desktop creator dialog.

Then I've some partitions that I don't like to show on my desktop (raid
mirrors). Is it possible to hide some stuff from the desktop? Maybe
a .hidden file or a check box in the icon properties to set hidden for
each icon?

regards
Andreas