Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 4:55 PM, Frederick Reeve <cy...@solace.info> wrote:
>> On Wed, 7 Jan 2009 21:54:52 -0200
>> "Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri" <barbi...@profusion.mobi> wrote:

>>> conservative is considered bad. it's just recommended for machines
>>> that have problems with fast frequency changes, usually weird/old
>>> platforms.
>>>
>> Just have to drop in my comment here.  I use conservative because my fan is
>> regulated by my bios and if the cpu is at full the fan runs on hi on my
>> notebook(its loud).  I find it very obnoxious going from off to hi all the
>> time.  My notebook is a new as of 2 months ago HP with some of the best
>> hardware you can currently get.  Yet "on demand"/automatic does not give a
>> good user experience here.  Anyway.  I would really hate to see "low power
>> automatic" go away as it has worked the best for keeping noise down on all 4
>> notebooks I have owned now.  I do wonder why it is considered bad though?
>
> It's bad because it would take more time to do the task and it's
> cheaper to finish the task at full speed sooner than run it half speed
> and delay job end. But of course you might end with annoying fans and
> latencies for some hardware (either cpu or fan)... I know it can be
> irritating if your laptop will turn on the fans everytime you move a
> window with e17 ;-)

Just to add my two cents to this discussion.

I have a machine that's on 24/7 for various tasks, and I run BOINC
projects in the background just so it's doing something useful all the
time. However, I don't want the processor running flat out constantly,
so I have ignore_nice_load switched on. That way, BOINC can do its thing
at low priority, and the CPU runs at a lower speed. Then, if 'normal'
apps need the CPU, it scales up the frequency to get the job done
quicker. e17's policy of running all child processes as +1 priority
completely backfires in this scenario.

I'm not sure which is the best way to go in terms of defaults for this,
but I'd definitely like there to be an option to adjust the priority of
e's child processes.

Steve.