2009/4/27 Luca De Marini <luca.darkmas...@gmail.com>

> Hallo everyone, I'm having a hard time trying to figure out how to handle
>> shelves extended to all the screen. I'm talking about shelves that are not
>> automatically reduced to the contents size. Sorry I have an Italian system
>> so I don't know how is this option called in reality..
>>
>> Whatever, my problem is that I was trying to put some gadgets on the
>> center of the shelf. I can freely move them of course, so, I positioned
>> those gadgets on the center... then I added Itask on the left edge of the
>> shelf and some modules on the right edge of the shelf. Now, this layout
>> would be good for me, but as you know, I run a Linux distribution, therefore
>> this should be a usable layout for everyone else too.
>>
>> But, when I resize my screen to a smaller resolution (to test it I'm using
>> virtualbox, so I can just resize a window to see the screen resize as I
>> wish), initially all gadgets are looking ok, the most important of all
>> things is that the modules on the center are still on the center but...
>> resizing the screen to a bigger resolution will mess everything up. ITask on
>> the left keeps being on the left but the modules on the center move to the
>> left side of the screen, staying attached to itask, and all of the modules
>> on the right of the shelf move alone with those on the center too, leaving
>> the right side of the shelf empty. Some times modules gets messed in a
>> different way, like they all go on the right, or some stay on the left and
>> others on the right... in general, changing resolution messes up their
>> position.
>>
>> So, my question is, when using sheleves extended to the whole screen, is
>> it impossible to handle gandgets so that they stay where they are in a
>> relative position (rather than an absolute one) on every resolution?
>> Is it imposdible to tell E17 that I'm putting a gadget on the CENTER of
>> the screen and not on one side?
>>
>> All this, basically, makes shelves extended to the whole screen unusable
>> in redistributable distros. If I'm missing something, please tell me how to
>> solve this problems.
>> Please see the attachments, I super compressed them so that they will not
>> be too heavy. If you prefer me never to send pictures in the list, please
>> tell me and next time I'll upload the pics on another server.
>>

> Sorry looks like my shots disappeared.
> Here are them uploaded on another server:
>
> http://opengeu.intilinux.com/screenshots/repositioning modules in
> shelf1.jpg
> http://opengeu.intilinux.com/screenshots/repositioning modules in
> shelf2.jpg
> http://opengeu.intilinux.com/screenshots/repositioning modules in
> shelf3.jpg

Hallo everyone, I'm  replying again since I receive no response to my
problem.
I just wanted to point out that this is a major bug / problem, not something
to understimate.
I'm the manager of a distro, OpenGEU, and when I create my custom
configurations for Enlightenment, those configurations will be stored in the
distro and in the redistributable packages I create for OpenGEU.
Everyone using OpenGEU will have to use my configurations. Both on the live
CD and in their installations (from packages too of course). So, if I save
my configuration as in screenshot 2, and then a user with a higher
resolution than mine boots the liveCD, he will have a mess as in screenshot
3. That's not good at all. Looks like gadget positioning is not relative to
the screen resolution but it's rather considered as absolute.. I'm not a
coder so I can just guess what I'm writing here but I think I'm right. The
same thing would happen if a user installs the liveCD without his video
drivers correctly installed.. and then, after installing them, turns the
resolution to a higher level. Everything in shelves gets messed up again.

I also noticed that on Gadman this bug does not exist. It is only happening
in shelves. I mean, in Gadman, if I place a module on the rop right corner
of the screen and another one on the bottom left corner, no matter the
resolution, those modules are always keeping their good relative
positioning! They are always on the top right corner and on the bottom left
of the screen, in any damned resolution, they never loose their correct
position.

So, shelves really need a patch about this problem. Positioning must be
relative to the resolution of the screen.. not even modules positioned on
the edges on the shelves seem to remember their relative position...

If you think about it, this basically means that in distros people will be
forced to redistribute an E17 configuration with a short shelf, a shelf
automatically adapted to the contents, that's what I mean. We cannot use
shelves full-screen large by no means..
Very bad thing :\

Hoping this time somebody will answer,
Greets,