On Sat, 11 Jul 2009 11:40:17 -0300 Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
<barbi...@profusion.mobi> said:

> Efreet is a core technology for E17, but we need a maintainer for it.
> Mekius is busy, as we all are, so if you have some spare time to help
> with it, please say so :-)
>
> I used to work a bit with efreet doing code for E17 and my
> netbook-launcher and noticed some problems. Then I have to use
> glib/gnome parsing and notice some differences, specially with mime
> types and icon finding. So we definitively need to improve standards
> compliance... and speed, Efreet is so slow it do not feels like E
> technology :-)

indeed, but who will take up the baton and run. i'm already spread thin. efreet
needs:

1. massive speed improvements. things like mmapable cache files of all .desktop
data that can just be instantly mapped into memory (and sequentially pre-cached
by just reading all the data in it).
2. updates to new standard changes.
3. more robust update handling. on really slow systems, efreet will detect a
new .desktop file sometimes when its partly written, or .desktop is written
before icon exists etc. so a search for the icon comes up blank.