On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 11:53 PM, Christopher
Michael<cpmicha...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 5:08 PM, Enlightenment
>> SVN<no-re...@enlightenment.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Log:
>>>  Cleanup compiler warning on e_signals.c:
>>>         execinfo.h (which contains the backtrace* functions is only
>>> included
>>>         if OBJECT_PARANOIA_CHECK is defined so add an #ifdef around those
>>> calls.
>>
>> no, this has nothing to do with object paranoia. These changes were
>> meant to help us with user problems. Include execinfo.h always and
>> remove the ifdefs.
>>
> I understand the reason of helping with user problems, but according to the
> code, execinfo.h is only included if OBJECT_PARANOIA_CHECK is enabled:
>
> (e.h)
> #ifdef __GLIBC__
> #ifdef OBJECT_PARANOIA_CHECK
> #include <execinfo.h>
> #include <setjmp.h>
> #endif
> #endif
>
> so in a way it DOES have something to do with OBJECT_PARANOIA_CHECK in that
> the execinfo.h header was not added if paranoia_check was not
> defined...leading to the compiler complaining about missing functions...thus
> the reason why I added an #ifdef OBJECT_PARANOIA_CHECK around the backtrace
> code.
>
> NOW, having said that, if it is the general "wish" of the E 'Team' to always
> include the backtrace code (even for a 'release'), then by all means I will
> remove the #ifdef OBJECT_PARANOIA_CHECK around the backtrace calls (which I
> added to fix the compiler warning) and just include <execinfo.h>
> regardless...but IMO this may not be desirable in the long term because most
> 'average users' would not know what to do with the backtrace anyway.

average users will never understand breakages. And asking them to do
more stuff (ie: recompile and try again) is bad. Just make it enabled
by default, if you want to avoid such things possibly make it an
optional disable (enabled by default), but I don't see a reason to not
have that, it should be always useful... no product is fail proof
these days.

--
Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
http://profusion.mobi embedded systems