On Tue, 01 Sep 2009 23:19:37 -0400 Christopher Michael
<cpmicha...@comcast.net> wrote:

> Nick Hughart wrote:
> > On Tue, 1 Sep 2009 20:03:18 +0530
> > Noorul Islam <gnu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> I think core developers are busy. I hope they will reply soon.
> >>

> > I would love this to finally be done, but I know most of the devs
> > just don't care.  But when we have a crazy style like we do I think
> > it requires a bit of explanation unless we want to constantly format
> > patches from people.
> >
> > I also think that moving to a format with only spaces and no tabs
> > would further help.  Most editors do not do tabs+spaces like JED
> > (essentially how E's code got it's style).  I realize it's easy to
> > just keep this format, but I find myself formatting my code more
> > then writing it in the editor I use.  And no I'm not going to spend
> > days trying to tweak my editor to just code E style since I have
> > plenty of other things to code in my own style.
> >
> Not to start any flames or anything, but changing the code style for
> E would require others to tweak their editors....is their time any
> less important to them ?

indent is a perfectly adequate tool for automating that sort of style
stuff, so long as the official style fits within what indent can do.
We have indent.pro files in SVN for exactly that reason.

A typical busy open source developer probably is dealing with dozens of
projects with source code in even more styles.  Us busy open
source developers should be fairly agnostic in what styles we accept
from projects we don't control, and very used to just automatically
following any style we find.  Or at least running the projects
official indent.pro files over our changes before committing.

Those that are realiy style anal can run indent to massage code to their
own personal style, then again before commits.  lol

Some of those styles found in the wild are deplorable, but that is
always personal taste exactly what fits the description of
"deplorable".  Though styles that insist on 80 character lines AND long
descriptive names are just asking for trouble.