[ snip ]
> I really want to know screenshots of it. Really, Raster would know the
> lack of dithering and blockier gradients because he has "eagle's
> eyes", but generally you see minor glitches most people will not
> notice. The biggest one so far is blending white on white, but I even
> worked it around and it should handle this special case (giving you
> white instead of green-ish gray).

These are all captured on my x86 box:

Home screen:
http://cool-idea.com.tw/brian/x11-home.png
http://cool-idea.com.tw/brian/x16-home.png

Music:
http://cool-idea.com.tw/brian/x11-music.png
http://cool-idea.com.tw/brian/x16-music.png

The artifacts are easily noticeable.  The background image's gradients
are of 'big' steps.  The artifacts are even more obvious on my
device's LCM, which is of lower DPI.  Is it due to the colors or the
scaling?

For the 'music' x11-16 screenshot, the text is all broken.  IMHO, this
is due to my font, which is a truetype font with bitmaps info for
smaller font sizes (bitmap for smaller font and scaler for larger font
since scaler Chinese font look bad for small text).

> For instance Canola2 use 16bpp which very colorful and rich visual.
> Actually I wrote 16bpp engine for Canola2 project and designers were
> always carefully checking all the details:
>
>    http://openbossa.indt.org/canola2/

Yes, I've seen the demo.  Very cool visuals.  I just knew that it uses 16bpp...

> I'd recommend watching out rectangle colors that are supposed to match
> image colors. Remember that 16bpp is RGB565, that is 5 bits for both
> red and blue, 6 for green. So you basically discard the lower bits of
> each full 0-255 values in 32bpp. But for images we apply dithering
> when converting from 32->16 in order to avoid blocky gradients and
> such, for those cases you will likely get different color (1 value up
> or down) for each component based on nearby pixel.
>
> The safest thing to do is to calc 16bpp colors using:
>
> dr = (r >> 3) << 3
> dg = (g >> 2) << 2
> db = (b >> 3) << 3
>
> The attached script should help you in your task.

Do you mean that I have to manipulate each image to make it use only
the upper 5/6/5 bits for R/G/B?

> Again, send some screenshots so we can know what you mean.

As above.

Thanks. :-)

brian

--
brian

Cool-Karaoke - The smallest recording studio, in your palm, open-sourced
http://cool-idea.com.tw/

iMaGiNaTiOn iS mOrE iMpOrTaNt tHaN kNoWlEdGe