On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 10:36 AM, Carsten Haitzler <ras...@rasterman.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 10:15:52 +0800 Brian Wang <brian.wang.0...@gmail.com>
> said:
>
>> On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 9:28 AM, Carsten Haitzler <ras...@rasterman.com>
>> wrote:

>> > thats what genlist does now - it doesnt select itself - you provide the
>> > callbacks in your item class as to how to get the data. it's up to you how
>> > to do thats
>> >
>> > what is different is there is an add stage. you add all the items (as each
>> > item can be a different class - ie style or content). the only differencce
>> > between what genlist does now and what gustavo is proposing is - who calls
>> > the adds.
>> >
>> > genlist needs to know what to call for each item to  get its content - and
>> > what style to display it in. as such there is no way to do this without
>> > first telling genlist which items are of what type.
>> >
>> > ONLY in the case where all items are of the same size (regular grid) can
>> > you
>> > take possible shortcuts and just get item count and thus determine list
>> > height from my previous mail - width needs to also then be fixed.
>>
>> Yes.  Homogeneous mode also implies 'compress' mode to limit the width
>> to its container.
>
> ok. as long as thats understood :)
>
>> > you are creating a very special-case list. genlist is genlist.. because
>> > its.. generic. it can handle anything you throw at it. every item can be a
>> > different style, and different size. genlist has its own deferred queue for
>> > adding items that it processes in idle time to keep it "fast"
>> >
>> > i'm not sure about what brian says - that the app becomes unresponsive.
>> > i've
>> > run this on lower-end arm's (armv6 - 800mhz - yes thats lower end these
>> > days!) and it runs just danndily on my test case with 2000, 10000 or more
>> > items. it takes a while to populate the list, but u can scroll around and
>> > do things.
>>
>> By unresponsive, I mean that the scrolling becomes stuttering.  Well, actual
>>

> aah yes. it might indeed as its devoting a portion of your cpu to evaluating
> all the items in the queue to be added. as such it might be an idea that it
> would be time limited not item # limited per idle loop.

Cool!  That's why I'm limiting the max number of items within an item
block to 1.  But this figure will vary from platform to platform, thus
requires tuning by the programmer.  Time-limited loop in the idler
sounds like a much better and correct implementation!

>> I'm running it on a "lower-end" arm with 64MB of DDR.  What I could
>> think of the difference other than the computing power is that my list
>> contains Chinese characters.  I reason that freetype tends to render
>> Chinese charset slower due to the fact that the huge range of Chinese
>> character set does not fit into a reasonable-sized font cache.  And of
>
> well actually evas will keep glyphs for all chars it has seen. its just
> unreferenced fonts (that hold the rendered glyphs) that are in cache.
> referenced fonts are all active data - as are all their glyphs. :) but -
> decoding the utf8 for chinese will cot more and glyphs will not be as nice on
> cpu caches.  :)

>> course, armv6 vs armv5te, CPU core speed, DDR (I assume it's on your
>> target too) bus speed (mine is 133/266 with 16-bit data bus...) all
>
> armv6 is better indeed - though these days its all about cortex-a8 - even that
> is "not so hot" as ll the focus for new high-end is on cortex-a9 dual core
> babies.
>
>> make big difference.  However, it's the difficulty of life that I have
>> to cope with. :-)
>
> better hardware fiixes oh so many problems :)

It's always about the cost though. :-)