On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 12:00 PM, Gustavo Lima Chaves
<gl...@profusion.mobi> wrote:
> * David Seikel <onef...@gmail.com> [2010-06-17 16:35:18 +1000]:
>
>> On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 13:58:53 -0700 "Enlightenment SVN"
>> <no-re...@enlightenment.org> wrote:
>>
>> > Log:
>> >   Slave mode: 1st dev. cycle
>> >   Tests with a Java process listening on the other side did suceed.
>> >   Only issue still open is the nil value support. Editje will listen
>> > on an specified port for an xml-rpc connection. Two testing commands
>> > are there, but the protocol is going to be defined now.
>> >
>> >   When some Java code gets done, we'll have an xml-rpc client on
>> >   Editje's side too, because the procotol needs two-way calls.
>> >
>> >   By: Gustavo Lima Chaves <gl...@profusion.mobi>
>> >

>> > Author:       sachiel
>> > Date:         2010-06-16 13:58:53 -0700 (Wed, 16 Jun 2010)
>> > New Revision: 49709
>>
>> XML?  Do we HAVE to use that bloated crap?  It was fair enough with FDO
>> and SVG stuff, someone else defined those standards, they are popular,
>> so we had to grin and go with it.  If we are defining our own protocol,
>> and it looks like we are if we have to write both sides of the system,
>> why not use something waaay more efficient than XML?
>
> Hi, David.
>
> I don't like XML either. The 1st idea was simple communication via
> pipes, but Java, with its stupid way of being 'portable', doesn't have
> a way of retrieving a pipe's file descriptor, and using stdin/stdout
> standard ones is totally bad.  For timing reasons, we just picked
> another rpc mechanism and that's it. The use case for that won't
> impact Editje's canonical use, though.

Yeah, and although C does not make XML-RPC that easier (as it does not
make anything easy...), there are plenty of libraries to help
interfacing from C/C++, with more high level languages being
transparent to make that access, so one could interact with Emacs
using Lisp, or Python/Ruby for plugins in most editors... or Java
inside Eclipse and other IDEs.

The point of this support is to remote control Editje and also get
informed of some resources. For instance, list all the groups, or all
the parts in a group. Get notified when them are added, modified or
removed... Know when people flag the "api:" attribute of parts or
scripts and that way we could present TAB-completion in such editors,
or just show a tree-view of the groups for easy lookup by users
(avoiding grep or extensive searches in the .edc).

BR,

--
Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
http://profusion.mobi embedded systems