On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 23:13 +0200, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote :
> hi all,
> in src/bin/e_main.c there is this wonderful gem _e_main_test_svg_loader.
> Writting a hard-coded XML file to a known location is just asking for
> trouble. It basically means that anyone with write access to /tmp can
> make the E17 user overwrite a file with permissions of the user. It also
> creates race conditions for multiple users.

Thanks for sending this. I think I mentionned it on IRC at one point, and then
forgot about it.

> Any reason why this piece of
> code is needed at all?

That's a little bit complicated:

 - The freedesktop.org spec says that SVG icons lookup is optional, but if it is
   supported, then the lookup order is png -> svg -> xpm

 - If efreet returns an SVG icon when SVG rendering is not compiled in evas,
   then you get no icon where an xpm icon (which could have been rendered
   correctly) might have existed.

 - Since there is no way to ask evas if SVG support is available (which I think
   is a mistake), you need to do some kind of runtime detection.

 - Right now, the only practical way to do that is using some voodoo: create a
   dummy file and try to load it.

To sum it up: it's here because such kind of tests are the only way to check
whether Evas supports a particular format. Or at least, so were they when the
patch got commited.

Cheers,
--
Albin Tonnerre