Does the notification module handle "progress bar" like notification?
Otherwise, I think the current method is a nice quick fix.

  Although the popup may be annoying to some, it is very useful for
others, including me. It gives a visual feedback of where the current
volume level is. Often times I find myself pressing the volume up button
expecting the volume to increase and then I see that it is already maxed
out.