On Thu, 06 Jan 2011 10:40:01 +1100 Jochen Schröder <cycoma...@gmail.com> said:

> On 04/01/11 21:15, Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:
> > On Sat, 25 Dec 2010 17:30:44 +1100 Jochen Schröder<cycoma...@gmail.com>
> > said:
> >
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I've encountered a weird bug when using darktable (a raw photography
> >> workflow program). It's a bit difficult to explain. A number of the
> >> tools in darktable don't work properly when using in e17, but they work
> >> fine in gnome. There are some tools you need to drag dots on curves
> >> around to change e.g. colors. One of the tools is the colorzone tool.
> >> There is a screencast at
> >> http://blog.pcode.nl/2010/12/06/darktable-0-7-screencast-library/
> >> demonstrating how the tool should be working (see the colourzones plugin
> >> screencast). At about 1:45 he demonstrates how you can change the color
> >> by moving some points. Now this works fine if I use darktable in gnome,
> >> however under e17 trying to drag those points does not do anything (the
> >> points don't move). I know this is not a very good explanation, so if
> >> you can give me some hints how to better explain or troubleshoot this
> >> I'll try to do it.
> >
> > as such the only thing that can actually interfere might be button bindings
> > - ie u have bound the same mouse button + modifier - or well e has it bound
> > by default, but thats it - e would just steal the events before they got to
> > the app - or x would steal them and re-direct to e. as such all non-grabbed
> > events go DIRECT to apps so everything is up to the app to handle so if its
> > not a conflict of bindings... thats an app bug. e doesnt interfere nor is
> > it involved in keyboard or mouse input beyond grabbing things as above.
> > (well also involved could be "click always raises" which involves a passive
> > button grab too - click to focus too but only on the first click to focus a
> > window).
> >

> I've just done some more tests and this appears only when click to focus
> is checked, however it also appears in blackbox when click focus policy
> is selected (however works fine in Gnome with click-focus). YOu're
> probably right that it's either a gtk or darktable bug. Sorry for the noise

hmm ok. when click to focus is on, e sets a passive grab for any click with
mouse buttons 1, 2 and 3 to the parent (frame) window of the app - this meant e
gets the click first. e passes that event along (allows it to continue).
blackbox will do the same - hell metacity will do - most wm's will. e removes
this grab once the window is focused. that means e is no longer involved in
stealing away events for focusing the window.. UNLESS you also have the "click
raises the window" option (window focus advanced config in e) then e will
always keep this grab AND always get an event on any click AND when it gets one
raise the window - but this click will be allowed to continue to the client -
thats why u can still click on buttons and scroll scrollbars etc.

as such it smells to me like darktable is doing something nasty/ugly/bad and
the developer of it doesnt even know what he's doing wrong and has never
considered to test in other wm's that may change his assumptions. that's my
guess for now - but i'd have to dig thru all the code to find out. better you
report it to the developer and let them know it fails in multiple wm's with
certain events on widgets - the dev then should review his code for those
elements of darktable and do some testing and thinking about it :) that's my
guess right now.

> As a side note, what does the click to focus option under focus->misc
> actually mean. If I have click focus policy selected it seems redundant,
> but if I use sloppy or pointer focus, I already must have the pointer
> inside the window to click it so it seems redundant to me as well?

it is redundant - it basically can be used when u have pointer-sloppy focus
and focus is stolen away somewhere else and kept there - a click on the window
where u are now will send focus back to it again. it just keeps the click grab
on always - like click raises window does but it means e sets focus to the
window on a click no matter what the focus policy is. niche usefulness. in
advanced for a reason :)