On Sun, 09 Jan 2011 23:18:15 +0100 Fabian Nowak <timyst...@arcor.de>
wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> when updating some German translation of e17 trunk, I noticed that
> many components still lack i18n. So I started updating many of them
> and successfully introduced translations as I could verify on my
> computer.
>
> As you may know, translations are an important step for software to be
> spread and thereby debugged, tested, helped, enhanced and commented on
> by a wide range of people from everywhere over the world.
>
> However, many questions have come up:
>
> 1. Why is gettext 0.14 used? 0.18 (and later?) does already exist.
> (component e even uses 0.12.1)

"version X already exists" is a poor reason to use version X.  We
should generally choose to use the latest version that is being used by
the most people.  Choosing the very latests, bleeding edge, was just
released this morning version simply because it exists means that our
software just wont work for most people.  We can't expect ordinary
users to grab the latest version.  We should NOT be expecting even our
developers to grab the latest versions.  People stick with the stable
versions of their distributions for good reasons.

I know, I say this all the time, and people don't listen.  :-P