On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 3:04 PM, Andrey Riabushenko <cd...@bk.ru> wrote:
>> Well, I don't see how you could remove eet cipher and signature
>> functionnality without impacting eet internals.

> Change is inevitable and imminent :) Though, It can wait for EFL 2.x
> branch opening for API changing commits.

You will have to wait for some years for EFL 2.x branch. And this is a
serious statement, we are not going to break our API/ABI soon, that's
all the reason we did a 1.0.

>>    Signature need to manipulate the internal data of the mapped file.
>> That would means exposing this function as a callback in eet_open (if
>> a file is not properly signed, it should not be open at all).
>>    As for cipher, you will see that it is used directly inside
>> eet_data.c code. In fact for easier/lighter maintainance we do share
>> code.

> The API change in rather minor. User have to call
> eet_signature_init() -- to sign functionality to work
> eet_cipher_init() -- for ciphering

> These calls register callbacks that are called during eet_open. Hence,
> if eet_signature_init() was called, signature is checked and ignored
> otherwise.

That's an API/ABI change we can't accept at this point. Signature
should not be ignored for user expecting it to be checked. That would
be a serious security regression.

>> > I do understand that I can build eet myself with "configure
>> > --disable-gnutls --disable-openssl". But packagers of binary linux
>> > distributions can't do it.
>> >
>> > I don't mind to write such patch myself if the idea will be
>> > accepted.
>>
>> Last point I do think we should use more signature and cipher in the
>> futur. Signature for theme and background edje would be a nice feature
>> to be sure that the content you are downloading wasn't altered (Need
>> to be implemented in exchange replacement).
>>   As for cipher, some configuration should be stored inside a secure
>> wallet, and the plan is to use eet for that.

> Please don't do that I clearly remember how annoying was KDE wallet. I
> am happy that I don't use KDE now.

At some point, you want to store password and other confidential
information securely. That means using cipher and I don't see how you
can go around a wallet. As for the implementation, the idea is to
integrate it with PAM, so it doesn't require a second password, but
that's not that easy to implement.

>> use much of eet cipher/signature functionnality (I do use it a lot in
>> elixir JS bindings), it should be more useful in the futur.

> Great we have found one user of this functionality ;)

And now, some may be using it outside of this svn.
--
Cedric BAIL