oh great!  I guess you finally got around to it =)

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 1:57 PM, Carsten Haitzler <ras...@rasterman.com>wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 10:49:10 +0900 "Sung W. Park" <sung...@gmail.com>
> said:
>
> > Ah, i see that you finally had a chance to go through your email piles =)
> > welcome back!
>
> and now... another email pile is being conquered... i hope :)
>
> > > gl_x11_evas_engine.patch:
> > > surprisingly... i have very little to grumble about. the only thing is
> the
> > > hash
> > > thing where you comments "i didn't think it was necessary...". as such
> you
> > > can
> > > get away with not doing it until you try and duplicate the same texture
> in
> > > multiple image objects. the compositor does this - or can do it (and it
> is
> > > used
> > > for some effects like exposee).  this means it will share the same gl
> image
> > > wrapper struct etc. etc. which saves some resources.
> > >
> > > what you need to do here is put the image in a hash - like the one that
> > > uses
> > > pixmap id, but here using texture id. so u'll need another native_hash
> so
> > > that
> > > id's dont clash (tex id vs pixmap id) and then put it in there and take
> it
> > > out
> > > of it just like the native_hash stuff is done for pixmap id's. :)
> >
> > my thoughts were that it wouldn't be a big overhead to just create new
> image
> > objects
> > for each texture reference but you're right in that it does save
> resources
> > if you reference them.
> >
> > by the way, is there a good way to create a unique ID that i can use for
> > hashing?
> > since pixmap IDs are globally unique, it's good to use it as hash keys
> but I
> > think using
> > texture IDs would be a bad idea since it's context specific.  any
> thoughts
> > on that?
>
> hmmm as such there HAS to be a unique Id for evas's gl context anyway...
> and
> that text id will have to be unique as otherwise evas's context cant
> identify
> one texture from another... so this id is.. sufficient... is it not? :)

Yes i've realized that and wrote a response in another email.  I've handled
it in the patch
that I last sent.

> > > now as for target GL_TEXTURE_2D ... vs what?
> GL_TEXTURE_RECTANGLE_NV/ARB
> > > etc.?
> > > i'm not sure that's entirely wise? 1D and 3D textures would need proper
> > > handling then too. also rectangle textures are subject to a different
> > > coordinate space (in pixels vs 0.0 -> 1.0). right now the gl engine
> core
> > > doesn't use/handle these at all actually. i'm not entirely sure we need
> > > to/should as rectangle textures come with a whole bunch of
> > > gotchas/limitations,
> > > and there are standard npot textures around anyway. :) i'm not really
> sure
> > > any
> > > client would need/want to do this?
> >
> > the thought of having texture target came after seeing #ifdef
> > GL_TEXTURE_RECTANGLE_ARB
> > in the code.  If you tell the user that
> evas_object_image_native_surface_set
> > only
> > supports GL_TEXTURE_2D then I guess not having it would be fine.
>
> well that';s kind of "codd i might have implemented, but in reality it
> means
> dealing in 0.0->1.0 coords vs 0->N coords, and as its not universal, we
> need to
> do both.. and anyone that seems to do rectangle textures these days also
> handles npot textures. if they only do pow2 they seem to avoid rectangle
> textures"... so... i don't expect rect textures to be used... your
> thoughts?

I think it's fine.  rect textures are nice to use for multi-pass rendering
in my
opinion but, i think it's ok to assume regular texture  2D for now?

> > > so if you can fix the hash thing... that'd be good. the yinvert patch
> is
> > > already in svn, so just send an update on the other stuff as above :)
> > >

> > I'll do that once I get your response about the hash id.
>
> above :)

the last patch that i sent already has the above fixes so i'll apply the
other suggestions/comments that you have from the other email responses
before i send an updated patch.