On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 4:25 AM, Carsten Haitzler <ras...@rasterman.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Apr 2011 15:32:28 -0300 Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
> <barbi...@profusion.mobi> said:
>
>> On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 7:38 AM, Jiyoun Park <jy0703.p...@samsung.com> wrote:
>> > Hi.
>> >

>> > I make patch related with evas gl binary shader.
>> >

>> > The concept of binary shader is  compile shader only once.
>> >
>> > Some people want to use binary shader because of performance issue.
>> >
>> > In current evas gl engine, every application have to compile shader each
>> > time.
>> >
>> > But I modify code , so only first running application need compile shader.
>> >
>> > Other application use already compiled shader(binary shader)
>> >

>> > The binary shader is made under HOME/.evas/gl_common_shaders directory.
>> >
>> > Binary shader is created according to GL vendor,GL renderer, GL version and
>> > Module_arch.
>>
>> while I haven't checked the code, don't create yet another ~/.
>> directory. This is bad and was acknowledged by everyone. Unfortunately
>> e17 itself did not update to use proper XDG directories, but we can
>> avoid introducing new problems to be later fixed.
>>
>> XDG specifies $XDG_CACHE_HOME with fallback to ~/.cache, thus you can
>> use it with "/evas/gl_common_shaders" appended.
>>
>> Many desktops and distributions have cron jobs to clean these
>> directories or maps them to some /var with cleanup jobs.
>
> i don't think it much matters right now as there are bigger fish to fry here -
> like this being a "brand spanking new in opengl4.2" feature (tho gles-2 has
> technically supported it for quite a while).
>
> the code needs to have a proper search path added. eg check ~/.whatever first
> THEN look in /system/path/whatever etc. etc.

There is no difference in doing the way he did and the way I'm
proposing. Just do it right from the start and let's avoid our common
"do and redo it" :-(

Moreover, I'm trying to explain to people about standards that exist
so next time he will already consider it.

--
Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
http://profusion.mobi embedded systems