On Wed, 1 Jun 2011 13:28:47 +1000 David Seikel <onef...@gmail.com> said:

> > a kernel panic... is definitely a kernel problem. just unplugging
> > some usb device being used for sure! dont know if ecore_fb handles
> > teh vanishing of the device properly (and then dynamic plugging in
> > again later).
>
> Well no.  It only panics when elementary_test is running.  If it's just
> sitting at the shell prompt, no problem, things just keep running fine.
> And no idea about if I plug it back in again, since I don't get a
> chance to before the panic.

a kernel panic, by DEFINITION is a KERNEL problem. its a bug inside the kernel.
userspace happens to TRIGGER the bug by maybe using devices in a certain way -
eg opening and keeping the udb device open. as such kernel and userspace are
separated and any kernel panic is entirely a bug inside the kernel.

> On the other hand, I don't KNOW for sure if it's a kernel panic, since
> elementary_test has taken over the screen at that point, there is no
> visible console to see any messages.  The system just reboots.

oooh.. so you dont KNOW its a kernel panic... you don't have a serial console?
you should get one :)

> I think that classifies as "ecore_fb not handling the vanishing of the
> device properly" though.

well it may not handle the error case for reading the device as nicely as it
should - eg close it and clean up. it may keep it open, which may TRIGGER a
kernel bug, but thats still a kernel bug to be fixed in the kernel, if it is a
panic.

> This linux system is one I'm building from scratch, just enough so far
> to let me run elementary_test in fb mode.  Plumbing in debugging stuff
> so I can see what goes on is still a TODO item.  I just got to the point
> where elementary_test is reacting to the keyboard last night, next step
> is supposed to be writing a simple elementary app to start testing with.

get yourself a serial console.. and next network (usbnet or something). you'll
really hurt a lot without these debug/access mechanisms.