On Wed, 27 Jul 2011 14:20:42 +0300 Tom Hacohen
<tom.haco...@partner.samsung.com> said:

> On 27/07/11 14:02, Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:
> > On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 12:11:00 -0300 Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
> > <barbi...@profusion.mobi>  said:
> >
> >> It would be useful to have some references in SVN and also a tool to
> >> diff these files, producing a hint on what's different other than pure
> >> "cmp a b: files differ at byte X". This is done by WebKit, for
> >> instance
> >
> > tom's elm_testsuite.sh is a REALLY simple hack :) its not going to do these
> > things. i have a more complete test suit. i actually have the start of a
> > pretty good test suite that has "commands" to create objects and manipulate
> > them ans then save the current "screenshot" for later comparison. it
> > actually lets u scripot what objects u will use, where to put them, how to
> > modify them etc so we can test all sorts of combinations of objects and
> > transitions of state. it's lurking locally. i sent tasn a copy a bit back.
>
> I'm already using this elm_testsuite.sh full time with textblock. I have
> this tool I created (it's in svn) called tb_test that I just run through
> tsuite with various sample format .txts and to easily verify I don't
> break anything. This hack already saved me a lot of spanking and
> possibly hours of testing in the past couple of weeks.
>
> As for a more complex test suite, Aharon is working on it, it's getting
> really cool. It allows you to modify everything through code, take
> screenshots whenever you want, record mouse/keyboard input and etc.
> It will be really awesome. :) The advantage of this test suite in
> comparison to your awesome (really awesome) test suite, is that it's
> intended for higher level testing, i.e widgets and stuff that rely on
> ecore's main loop (yeah, it works nicely with a mainloop) and not just
> for canvas objects.

hmm sounds like he's doing something definitely higher up the stack. what i
started with was something to test evas itself and test that all states of
objects work and render "right" and that changing states - eg a move, a resize,
enable.disable map, clip and unclip, and all sorts of permutations and
combinations of these keep working correctly. i guess you could do a similar
thing for elm and bind it into the mainloop - eg instead of an explicit "save
shot/image now" you have a "shot in 0.2 sec" or "wait until loop idle for 0.5
sec, then shot" so u can wait until anim is done etc. you'd still need lots of
command to create widgets and manipulate them of course.