On 08/29/2011 11:20 AM, Tom Hacohen wrote:
> On 29/08/11 18:06, Christopher Michael wrote:
>> Ok, well I am just getting caught up due to the storm, but I'll look @
>> this today and run some tests. Just out of curiosity, if you send E a
>> segv (kill -s SEGV <e_pid>) like Sachiel suggested when we had this
>> problem before, does the Restart work ?
>>
>> dh
>>

> Oddly enough, sending a SEGV from outside the process works just fine.
> But attaching gdb to the e process, and then doing something like:
> eina_stringshare_del(2342344234) from inside gdb breaks as expected.
>
> --
> Tom.

Tom,

gdb attach <pid>
(gdb) set unwindonsignal on
(gdb) call eina_stringshare_del(234234)

works in that it makes it possible to debug using gdb like you are
(calling efl functions inside gdb).

As far as the alert dialog working (restart/exit), we know it works when
E receives the signal from modules, etc. The problem you are
experiencing could be from gdb catching the signals instead of E, or it
could be due to xcb being threaded...not entirely sure which one, but
the alert code itself does work.

If you compare the changes to the old alert code and this version, you
will see that there is not much difference really (aside from xcb doing
the dialog drawing) so I am not sure that This even worked in the old
version. If it did work previously, then it could just be the threaded
nature of xcb which is the problem, but as such there is not much can be
done about that...I can't change xcb's threaded nature ;)

I don't know enough about what gdb is doing wrt signals to dig much
deeper into this. Do we have any gdb gurus that could help ??

dh