On 16/09/11 04:44, Govindaraju SM wrote:
> ==> Requirement is providing Date & time input widget which should
> change the format automatically based on current system locale,
> also display the date field strings in the locale specific language. so,
> at this moment ICU lib utilization is only for date & time formatting,
> locale and resource bundle.
> based on our experiment, performance overhead added by ICU is
> negligible. Binary size and its RAM usage, your point is right, due to
> extensive features supported
> by ICU. But I see some more features can be utilized, like locale
> specific number format, currency, regular expressions, any locale Word
> boundary calculation etc...

strftime with "%c" gives you the time based on locale including
translation, ordering and everything. But even if it wasn't the case, it
should be done in the user app and not in the widget toolkit.

> ==> Get the locale specific formats, formatted date with locale specific
> strings, context specific field limits ( ex, whats the max date value
> for the specified month/year )
> plus, the resource bundle should be replicated into gettext. Number
> formatting, regex are some of the features can be utilized later.

All this logic should be done in the app and presented in widgets as
wanted, to reason to put that logic in elm.

> ==> Idea is to make a simple date & time input widget. ( calendar widget
> occupies more screen space, need simple widget ). Thank you for your input.
> Do you think integrating ICU is okay if, we utilize all the above
> mentioned features?

I still disagree because the reasons mentioned above. This shouldn't be
a widget, and even if it was a widget, I doubt it really needs ICU to
operate (but that's not the important part, the important part is that
it shouldn't be a widget in my opinion).

--
Tom.