First of all Hi to everyone!!

I have been lot of time far from the e world, mainly because I have
changed 2 different jobs (and the house were I live) in the last year.
But I'm more 'stable' now, so it's time to make some sane E related
works :)
In the last week I spent my nights reading the past messages from the
devel list and the first feel I got was: "wow, we are going to release
e17"...after a few seconds the second thought: "arghh. We need to fix
all that broken stuff around !!! "

About fixing the Places module:
places is broken, arghh! don't ask me why, I don't know, it was
working well the last time I installed it (like 1 year ago). I must
fix it! and a good'old rewrite seems necessary.
I'm going to rewrite it as part of the fm module, so I can share all
the code about the volumes management with e, seems to me the more
natural way to go.
but now comes the problems...

About the way efm mount:
The way e17 handle the unmount of device is quite odd to me (you know,
e unmount the volume as soon as you close the last efm-win that use
that volume) and this behavior is quite in conflict with the places
module, as is it's main purpose is to provide the unmount/eject icon.
Are we sure we want e17 behave in this way? I don't think so, an exaple:
 * I want to watch a film on my usb stick: I put the key in, double
click on the icon that appear on the desktop, double click on the film
I like to start mplayer. Then I close the fm win to watch my
video.....what happen? does e unmount the key while I'm watching? if
no, when the key will be unmounted?
I really think e should behave as all the other OSs does, mount on
first use and unmount/eject on request.

About e17 device backends:
We now have 3 different engine to manage volumes in e and none seems
100% functional:
* the HAL backand seems broken as the places module.
* the EEZE backend needs libmount (hard to get) and seems also not
100% functional.
* the UDEV backand is unselectable in the configure step, at least if
you have hal installed.
really the configure switch seems broken to me, I have hal, udev and
eeze installed, I should be able to choose witch one to use...it
doesn't work, e always force me to use the hal one. Also the options
seems wrong, we have:
--enable-device-hal and --enable-device-udev   but not the one for eeze :/
then we have:
--enable-mount-hal --enable-mount-udisks --enable-mount-eeze   I
understand the eeze one but the others? disable mount in hal? in
udisk? ...why?

About eeze:
I like it (at least the api seems good, never used directly) but I
have some issue in mind: in the api I saw some functions and datatypes
that has the 'udev' word in...shouldn't eeze abstract the user from
the underground?
And what about volumes mounted in other different ways? I WANT my
iphone to show up in E as it is in nautilus, I think it is mounted
using fuse(or gvfs?)...what about that??

I don't want this email to become too huge so I leave for a future
mail other details and the discussion about the efm itself...that need
loooots of discussion and code for a proper e17 release.

bye

DaveMDS