On Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 05:58, Carsten Haitzler <ras...@rasterman.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Apr 2012 12:08:18 +0200 Vincent Torri <vincent.to...@gmail.com>
> said:
>
> actually forget lz4hc... lgpl3.
>
>> hey
>>
>> just found that while reading the gnutls ML :
>>
>> http://code.google.com/p/lz4/
>>
>> it seems that it allows the same ratio for compression than zlib but
>> seems  to be by far faster than zlib
>>
>> the memory consumption should be tested too.
>>
>> What do you think ?
>>
>> Vincent

> The Rasterman (Carsten Haitzler)    ras...@rasterman.com

I don't see any problem using an LGPLv3 library. Are there really any
changes necessary to make use of it in eet? Also, would it have to be
distributed in a way where LGPL parts would actually be packed into an
Eet binary or Eet source code?
Although I of course can understand that it would not be possible to
use Eet in an environment where no LGPL library could be accepted,
wherever or whyever that would be.

Other than that, would it really be worth it? Even if in the best case
the compression is only a little worse than zlib and compression time
would be a lot faster - would it really be worth it?
Eet usually is used WORM-style (Write Once / Read Many), so
compression time is hardly an issue - but if decompression is not
significantly faster (or even slower?), and file size is larger (thus
I/O, which more often than not is a bottle-neck nowadays, being lower)
you'd actually not gain anything but lose run-time performance
instead.
On the lz4hc page I only spotted compression benchmarks, nothing about
decompression - if basic information is missing, there usually is a
reason.

If anything, what would make sense for Eet would be the XZ format, using LZMA.
Compared to zlib, compression is a lot slower, but decompression is
not much slower - and compression ratio and through that I/O
throughput a lot higher.
XZs liblzma is LGPLv2.1 though.

Lastly: why would it be trouble supporting additional compression
methods? Eet uses file format versions in the binary, right? Why not
have features supported starting from a certain format version? Sure,
that would make old files incompatible but would this really be an
API-break? As I see it it would just mean newer files, or programs
using newer files, would have to depend on a newer minor release of
Eet without any actual API changes (in any case though it is an ABI
change for the Eet files I guess).
A way to do such a change might be having a new major release for it
and default to the old zlib compression, so users who require for
example XZ support can depend on it properly and not risk producing
files nobody can use, for no reason.

~thomasg