On Fri, May 04, 2012 at 07:11:20AM -0500, e...@pengaru.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This patch is against debian testing e17 0.16.999.55115-1.  I was just
> trying to see if I could get e17 to behave like the WindowMaker I have
> used daily for over a decade, there's just this specific behavior I was
> unable to reproduce in settings alone without hacking the code.
>
> In WindowMaker you can focus and resize windows without raising them,
> you can also click and interact with an obscured window that is focused
> without raising it.  You do this with alt-right-click on an obscured
> window.  If you hold the click and motion, you focus and resize the window
> without raising it.  If you simply release instead of hold and motion, you
> focus without raising the window and no resize occurs.
>
> I use this very often, as it's convenient for interacting with obscured
> debugger consoles and xterms while I have the interesting windows
> containing program output raised and occupying most of my display.
>
> This is a quick and dirty hack, it uses knowledge of RESIZE_NONE being
> defined to 11 which appears intended to be private to e_border.c
> currently.  I'm just putting this out there in case anyone else would
> appreciate this behavior.  I think it would be nice to get a toggle in
> e17 to activate this mode, it's one of the best things about
> WindowMaker's click to focus implementation and a big part of why I've
> used it exclusively for so long.
>
> No testing has been done to see if this change interacts badly with
> modes other than click to focus.  It reproduces exactly the WindowMaker
> behavior in my limited testing, without any observed ill effects.

I spoke to soon here, there's a remaining thing to fix which is raising
on window move or clicking on the title bar or window border.  In
WindowMaker after an alt-right-click to focus without raising an
obscured window, you can then alt-left-click to raise that window
(and move it if you hold and motion).  With my patch, once the window is
focused while obscured you can't make it raise by clicking the title bar,
window border, or grabbing the window with alt-left-click (which I have
bound to move in enlightenment).

Bummer, it's almost there.

Regards,
Vito Caputo