Hello.

On 06/13/2012 02:45 PM, Vincent Torri wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 3:30 PM, Stefan Schmidt<s.schm...@samsung.com>  wrote:
>> Hello.
>>
>> We just had a short discussion on IRC about keeping or removing the HAL
>> backend used in E and EFM for the release. Main points seem to be:
>>
>> Arguments for removing:
>> - Mike as our main device backend guy does neither care nor use HAL. He
>> supports udisk and eeze mounting though.
>> - Keeping the code in for the release means we have to maintain it and
>> fix bugs.
>> - HAL upstream seems dead.
>>
>> Arguments for keeping:
>> - The BSD users still use it (There seem to be a udisk port for *BSD
>> http://ftp1.fr.freebsd.org/mirrors/rsync.frugalware.org/frugalware-stable/source/xapps/udisks/,
>> any of our BSD users is using that)
>>
>> I there anything missing? I would like to hear back from people using a
>> recent (as in svn checkout) E with HAL and their reason.
>
> openindiana (formerly opensolaris) has only HAL, afaik.

And they keep maintaining HAL and fixing bugs then as well? I wonder how
they are doing it as upstream seems to be not really active anymore.
Maybe they just keep their stuff on top.

So it would be openindiana users that would be affected here. I feel it
all boils down to someone here having the motivation to keep HAL
maintained in E and efm after the release. I suspect that it will break
easily if none of the devs is actually using HAL anymore.

regards
Stefan Schmidt