On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 09:40:54 +0900 Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman)
<ras...@rasterman.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 00:59:32 +0900 Christophe Sadoine
> <ch...@indefini.org> said:
>
> > On 11 July 2012 00:32, Carsten Haitzler <ras...@rasterman.com>
> > wrote:

> > > are you french?
> >
> > yes...
>
> zut alors! .... le tabernac! :) where do all you french people come
> from? :) sure - come along! the french cabal is growing!

Usually they come from France.  :-P

> > I am not really working on the libraries or enlightenment.
> > the patch is just a function I need but I don't think many people
> > will use it... it's for rotating an evas map with a quaternion
> > instead of euler angles.
>
> aaarhmmm... i'm trying to think of a use for this, but my brain is
> coming up blank. :)

Well, in OpenSim / SecondLife based virtual worlds, quaternions are the
native format used for angles.  Probably in other 3D apps as well.
Makes life easy when you are dealing with "rotate A to X, then rotate B
to Y relative to A's X rotation" sort of things.  Why would that be
important to UI?  Well, what happens if your UI is mapped to the surface
of an object in the 3D world?  You walk around that object, it rotates,
and the UI is rotated relative to the combined rotation of the object
and your point of view.  The maths for that are a lot easier to deal
with in quaternions than they are in euler angles.