On 07/25/12 18:04, David Seikel wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Jul 2012 21:53:07 -0700 "Enlightenment SVN"
> <no-re...@enlightenment.org> wrote:
>
> > Log:
> > packaging/slackware:
> >
> >   - eeze mount doesn't fit well anymore with Slackware current and
> > udisks backend seems to work pretty well now, so enable it by default.
> >   - eyesight doesn't build anymore without poppler and mupdf needs
> > extra dependency, so disable it for now.
> >   - makes thing compile fater with make -j5.
>
> Um, is this for general use, or specific to your build machine?  -j5
> might actually slow things down for people with less than 4 cores.
> It's generally better to actually detect the number of cores.

Well, this is svn, we can not talk about general use. It speeds up
compilation for me, which matters because I build everyday and make the
integration/test for SlackE17. Released script are different.

Anyway, Patrick Volkerding builds most of Slackware with a default of
"make -j7" and that is what a common Slacker will find in an official
SlackBuild. They use to read the script before launching it :-)
I could have made it tunable, though, but it's actually faster and less
error prone to change a single digit in the "functions" file than passing
an env variable on the command line.

--
Jérôme Pinot
http://ngc891.blogdns.net/