Can you attach the test code here? I can help you.

The reason why genlist calls item callback functions is:
A. Genlist realizes(creates) all the items at least once to calculate
its size(width, height).
B. Genlist realizes items which are staying inside the viewport.
C. Content callback are called per each swallow part in items.
Because of (A+B)*C, genlist calls item content get callback many times.

If all your genlist items have the same height, you can skip A by
calling this API.
elm_genlist_homogeneous_set.
http://docs.enlightenment.org/auto/elementary/group__Genlist.html#ga0fc1e934814587a939ec437494eea0dc

Thanks.