On Thu, 23 Aug 2012 15:49:50 -0300 Raphael Kubo da Costa <rak...@freebsd.org>
said:

> So far, modules such as eina, evas and friends only define their major
> and minor versions on public headers such as Evas.h.
>
> While this is OK most of the time, one might also need to check the
> micro version as well -- my current use case is performing version
> checks without having to rely on pkg-config on WebKit-EFL, but others
> may have other uses for that as well.
>
> The current way of doing that would be building a program that got those
> version numbers from the {edje,evas,etc}_version variable, which is
> needlessly complicated when one already has half of the version
> information written in the headers.
>
> Is there a rationale for not exposing all version information in .h's or
> can I work on a patch for that?

the rationale is that micro versions do not have anything change in a header
that would affect compatibility forwards or backwards. we shouldnt be adding
features in micro releases (adding enums, struct members, functions etc.). thus
there is no need at compile time to know this as it is simply a matter of bug
fixes.

minor version releases we add funcs, features etc. THUS there is a need to
#ifdef use of new features *IF* the version is right.

a reason NOT to do micro version #defines in headers is that they are all
(except elm) manually changed and thus that increases the burden of adjusting
all of these per micro AND minor version release. right now its only per minor.
to automate it we'd have to make all these headers Header.h.in and i just didnt
want to go thru all of efl to do this.

so WHY do u need a micro version as a #define? if its a compile-time thing you
dont need it. if it's compile time you have pkg-config anyway (and not using
pkg-config is an artificial limitation you are imposing and tyrying to work
around it by adding maintenance work to headers. i don't get why you can't use
pkg-config?