On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 7:53 PM, Lucas De Marchi
<lucas.demar...@profusion.mobi> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 2:30 PM, Vincent Torri <vincent.to...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 7:26 PM, Lucas De Marchi
>> <lucas.demar...@profusion.mobi> wrote:

>>> It seems everybody except you agree the ChangeLog file is just plain
>>> useless.
>>
>> ultra funny. It's just profusion guys who want to drop changelog
>
> Eduardo doesn't work here:
>
> Excerpt from the README file in libabc
> (https://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/kay/libabc.git;a=blob;f=README;h=b4bed51b0403f0f55f4e8bb4706cd97e23c4858c;hb=HEAD):
>
>  Update NEWS to let developers know what has changed
>    - It's the history of the project, stuff that packagers need to know
>      when putting a new version in the distro. The interesting changes
>      or added/removed functionality from version to version. This is
>      not a commit changelog.
>    - If you want to provide ChangeLog, use the one generated
>      by git, do not maintain your own.

so what ? counter-example:

http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/Change-Logs.html

> kernel doesn't use a ChangeLog file
> systemd doesn't use a ChangeLog file
> bluez doesn't use a ChangeLog file
> connman doesn't use a ChangeLog file
> kernel doesn't use a ChangeLog file
> node doesn't use a ChangeLog file
> go doesn't use a ChangeLog file
> pulseaudio doesn't use a ChangeLog file
>
> v8 uses a ChangeLog file that's really a NEWS file
> webkit uses a semi-automated ChangeLog file, creating the commit
> message from the changelog. And it's stupid. Been there.

and i'm sure i can find HUNDREDS of libs with changelog. I have as
many arguments as you have.

> And WE are back to 90's maintaining that stupid files ourselves

to be clear : I don't like our NEWS file. For me:

ChangeLog should contain exactly what its name means : log of changes.
Not all of changes of course.

NEWS means what's new : that is, entries for the release, API
additions, deprecations, and eventually the mention of a big
improvement or a fix of a really big bug. That is, all the
improvements part should go away, as  I agree that it duplicates what
is in ChangeLog. raster and others add that part, i accepted it. But I
don't like it. And that's not the only stuff that I don't like but
that i have accpeted in that project.

> And Vincent, please stop taking it personal and insulting the others.
> Use "stupid" for ideas. Not people.

the conversation is heated, that's all. I'm from south of France and
we are not calm people, there. His answer upset me because what he
said was almost an insult to what I did in Evil's ChangeLog. But
nobody noted that. So I won't apologize.

Vincent