On Tue, 6 Nov 2012 15:52:02 +0100 Sebastian Dransfeld <s...@tango.flipp.net>
said:

> On 11/06/2012 08:09 AM, Cedric BAIL wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 10:07 AM, Jim Kukunas
> > <james.t.kuku...@linux.intel.com> wrote:

> >> The host detection + header check is _NOT_ a check as to whether the
> >> processor supports SSE3, but rather whether the build environment can
> >> compile code with SSE3 intrinsics.
> >>
> >> The real check occurs at runtime in evas_common_cpu_feature_test(), where
> >> we attempt to run a function consisting of the feature in question while
> >> trapping for SIGILL and SIGSEGV. If we catch either signal, we disable
> >> support for the associated feature.
> >>
> >> In this case, the SIGILL is expected, however it seems the signal
> >> handlers were not properly setup.
> >
> > Actually I have an explanation of the problem for E17. Tom started to
> > notice a problem on his laptop, where he got a WBOD without any useful
> > backtrace in E. In fact, E backtrace pointed to a always correct code
> > (aka select syscall). Here is my possible explanation of the issue, if
> > the problem you are reporting is related to E17. The new WBOD does
> > catch all signal in the parent process of E17, it doesn't know if the
> > SIGILL is properly catched or not, resulting in the WSOD being
> > displayed, when actually everything is fine.
> >
> > We need to fix that bug in E17 properly. In the mean time, I recommend
> > package manager to disable SSE3 for non source distribution.
>
> My problem is that if I don't disable sse3 on my pentium-m, evas based
> programs (like terminology) will crash. So the trapping in evas when it
> tests cpu features is broken in this case.
>
> S.

no - this sint the sse3 test broken at all. it's the port of evas to the efl
tree - the build is broken. basically it forces all of evas to compile ith sse3
optimizations (the c code producing sse3 intrusctions) *I*F compiler supports
it. ONLY the sse3 optimized rendering code files should compile with this flag
- ONLY those, and nothing else. same with the altivec asm files etc. they
should be compiled into separate .so/.a's and then linked into the evas lib
after where not only the optimized routines compile with sse3 opts.