From: "Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri" <barbi...@profusion.mobi>
To: "Enlightenment Development" <enlightenment-devel@lists.sourceforge.net>
Sent: Wednesday, November 7, 2012 4:38:03 PM
Subject: Re: [E-devel] efl evas merge: removal of options

Some updates based on talks here, Vincent would you look at doing them?

On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 11:51 AM, Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri <
barbi...@profusion.mobi> wrote:

> Hi all, particularly Vincent and Raster (notes to Etrunko/Devilhorns):
>
> Since EFL got the evas merge, I'd like to have evas options reduced as
> it's still too much. My suggestion is:
>
>  - pixman: should be a single option. But do we need it at all?

remove and later implement the NEON functions from Pixman in Evas.

>  - tile-rotate: can't we always have it enabled?

no comments so far.

>  - sse3: we shouldn't have this, as it could be detected at compile time.
> also be able to disable at runtime.

always enable if x86 && compiler supports, as well as others (mmx, sse,
...). Will detect if usable at runtime.

>  - static-software-generic: always on
>  - buffer engine: always enabled and static
>  - xcb x xlib: --with-x11=xcb, xlib or none.
>  - gl, gl-es...: --with-gl=gl, gles or none.
>  - direct3d, ddraw, gdi: remove option, enabled if platform supports it
> (windows).
>  - directfb: remove and also code.
>  - cocoa: remove option, enabled if platform supports it (mac).
>  - ps1light: remove option, enabled if platform supports it.
>  - fb (framebuffer): always enabled if platform supports it (linux).
>  - wayland: turn into --enable-wayland. It will turn on egl if
> --with-gl=egl? Etrunko? Devilhorns?
>  - dither mask: I'd say remove this from configuration, or turn into a
> single --with-dither-mask=full, small, line or none.

mixed bag, some say it can be kept as a --with-dither-mask, I'd remove and
leave the #ifdef in the code. Embedded guys can always specify the -DBLABLA
to save some kilobytes.

As or harfbuzz/fribidi I'd like to always enable them... I know some
> distros don't package, but given that Glib share many authors of those
> libraries and they do include a copy, and evas already includes
> linebreak... we better include our supported version. Alternatively we
> require and people that package us, will package those. Worse scenario:
> --enable-complex-languages.

As per Tasn, fribidi is always there. Harfbuzz is almost never there but
seems next Pango will change and instead of copy/provide one, will link to
system. Still to be decided what to do with Harfbuzz, but likely:

 - fribidi: always enable
 - harfbuzz: provide a copy (as we do with liblinebreak).

Also, I forgot about fontconfig: always enable.

simple-x11: what is that? can we merge it into new --with-x11?

remove, nobody knows if that hack is still needed by OpenEmbedded. likely
not.

> gif, svg, tiff and webp: what to do? most systems includes libgif and
> libtiff, many includes webp these days but not so common. Nobody will
> include our esvg requirement. What to do?

I like vincent idea --with-image-loaders, but I'd always enable gif and
tiff, leave webp and svg to be chosen.

Last but not least: vincent, all the fb/x11/gl/wayland will also be shared
with ecore, then it would make sense to move those to a common section and
remove the evas prefix.

--
Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
http://profusion.mobi embedded systems