On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 12:37 AM, Carsten Haitzler <ras...@rasterman.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 22:18:39 +0100 thomasg <tho...@gstaedtner.net> said:
>
>> On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 3:54 PM, Enlightenment SVN
>> <no-re...@enlightenment.org> wrote:
>> > Log:
>> > fix "long press" on label to triggewr rename after mouse release IF
>> >   held down for > 0.4 sec.
>> >

>> Imho, triggering the rename on mouse up is counter-intuitive.
>> On Desktops, the most common behavior is the Windows one with rename
>> on mouse up _without_ timer (though it only happens on already
>> selected items, which is why I think most people don't even know about
>> it).
>> On Mobile, the most common behavior for item interaction (though not
>> renaming alone) is on mouse _down_ with timer.
>>
>> The way E behaves here just seems random and magic as there is no
>> indicator that a rename might be triggered.
>
> valid complaint before: EVERY click on the text of an icon - in icon or list
> mode entered rename mode. this was totally unusable. the other problem is if
> done purely on timeout if mouse pressed for long enough, is we have event
> problems with bits of efm/evas still thinking the mouse is pressed on
> something
> when it is not. this is a workaround. third - u still have the click+drag
> +drop
> and this needs to work with that. if u PRESS a second time on a selected item
> need to NOT start rename IF u start dragging - thus the timeout.

This is true, this is a problem, but I think the new behavior
introduces too many problems to be considered a fix, not only
single-click race conditions but also the weird and unexpected
behavior.

But to be honest, I can't think of anything to fix this, certainly not
without reinventing the whole feature.