On Tue, 4 Dec 2012 12:33:15 +1000 David Seikel <onef...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Dec 2012 23:07:25 -0200 Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
> <barbi...@profusion.mobi> wrote:
>

> > On 03/12/2012, at 21:50, David Seikel <onef...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > I don't need IPC or remote canvases either.
> > >
> > > And yes, it's still a problem for me.  Now I have to explain to
> > > the audit lab that while there is now the potential to connect up
> > > to the device over a network and use this fancy ecore_con thing
> > > to add new functionality and change what's on the screen, thus
> > > potentially bypassing the legal requirements for our own
> > > nefarious purposes, I promise that we don't do that.  Cross my
> > > heart and hope to die.

> > > EFL 1.7.2 let my remove fontconfig and it's dependencies, but made
> > > me add pthreads and ecore_con.  At least there was still an
> > > overall decrease in the resulting flash image size.
> > >
> > > EFL giveth, EFL taketh away.
> >
> > Do you see it makes no sense to add a burden for everybody because
> > one single user with strange requirements?
>
> While that is true, I'm allowed to whinge about it and let my needs be
> known in case it's not really that much of a burden.  How much of a
> burden it is I don't know, I'm not familiar with ecore_con and it's
> internal usage.  Though the fact that it worked the way I wanted it to
> in the past suggest it's not that much of a burden.
>
> Sure my legal requirements are peculiar to my class of device, so
> that's not something that needs to be applied to EFL.  On the other
> hand, not needing network and IPC, while needing things to be as small
> as possible, I would expect to be a common requirement in embedded
> work.  It's also common for embedded devices to be subject to legal
> requirements, though I suspect not as many as mine is, governments
> tend to be paranoid about these things.  lol
>
> I state my needs, if that's too hard, even though my needs where met
> in previous versions, then I have to live with that.  The fact that
> these sorts of changes make my life much harder I will mention each
> time.  I would not mind so much these changes making my life harder if
> it was not for the reasons I pointed out in that other merged ecore
> review thread.  It basically boils down to "my project was designed
> around the feature of EFL that let me cut out lots of stuff".  That
> feature is going away now that it's too late to change the design,
> this creates more work for me on a fixed price contract.  I don't
> like being forced to do free work for paying clients.  That this
> feature is going away was not apparent when I quoted for the job.
>
> It's a fact, there was a bug on the older EFL tarballs (fixed in 1.7)
> that was ending up to be too hard to work around, plus updating to EFL
> 1.7 meant I could remove two more no longer mandatory dependencies.
> The fact that an optional part of EFL is now mandatory is a problem
> in this case, so I stated my need.  Overall it was a benefit to
> update to 1.7.2, I just wish it was a bit better.  Otherwise I would
> [...]

Actually, I just remembered that this argument is about ecore_con in
SVN, not in 1.7.2 head.  Ecore_con is not mandatory in 1.7.2, except
for the fact that the autofoo crashes when you try to disable it.
That's what I complained about initially, and Vincent agrees that
should be fixed.

If ecore_con IS mandatory in 1.7.2, then the option to disable it
should be removed.  Either way, something needs to be fixed.  Perhaps a
1.7.3 will be released and I'll test that and see how that affects this
issue.  If a theoretical 1.7.3 means I can disable ecore_con, and
there's no other issues that mean I have to update again later for
this project, then that will make me happy.

Ecore_con being mandatory in SVN head's merged tree I guess I'll not
worry about if 1.7.2 works fine for the embedded contracts I have that
are subject to these strict legal requirements.  I'm just getting my
bitching in early while it's still under development and easier to
reverse that decision.  B-)