On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 8:21 PM, Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri <
barbi...@profusion.mobi> wrote:

> Today acidx and pcajr investigated it heavily, we need help from people
> suffering as we can't confirm.
>
> As one can see, there is a peak, but then it will go back:
>
>    http://www.zytor.com/~pcacjr/misc/2013-01-07-170102_1920x1080_scrot.png
>
> This is terminology run with compilation inside. E17 is not showing any
> abnormal behavior either, this is with EFL SVN (single tree).
>
> What we found is that textgrid implementation will have to change. Right
> now it's very below what it should be, and for every cell it will issue 3
> commands: one rectangle_draw() for BG, one font_draw() and one
> rectangle_draw() for underline/strikeout. 80 x 24 x 3 = 5760 commands being
> queued to the thread! I wonder why it's not unusable slow, given that it
> will lock the mutex, append to queue, dequeue and so on :-P
>
> The idea is to rewrite textgrid to have its own row_draw() or similar
> exported to the engine, which can optimize the drawing. First we'll tackle
> the rewrite, but optimizations could be applied later such as collapsing
> sibling background or line rectangles if color match, doing a single
> operation.
>
> That's not one day task, so we'll ask you to wait a bit until it get fixed.
>
> As for e17 and other said leaks, please check with valgrind if it's leaking
> or what. Also please run with EINA_MEMPOOL_PASS=1 to see if it's leaking or
> still being held by mempool caches/buffers.
>
> --
> Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
> http://profusion.mobi embedded systems
> --------------------------------------
> MSN: barbi...@gmail.com
> Skype: gsbarbieri
> Mobile: +55 (19) 9225-2202

Hi gustavo,

I'm a gentoo user, using terminology as my main terminal, and as you know,
running gentoo alone is usually stressful enough for a terminal :)
In the 3 or 4 weeks I'm running the single-efl tree now, I haven't seen any
noticable mem-leaks, and my terminals are usually open for days.

Just now, I threw some 100k lines (N * 2000 lines ^= (while; do dmesg;
done)) on one terminology window for an hour, and I can not even see small
leaks.
The mem usage is between 40M and 50M and did not increase over time at all.
It will stay at 36M after this, which should be the 10k lines
scrollback-buffer.

--
thomasg