On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 6:32 PM, Tom Hacohen <t...@stosb.com> wrote:
> How is this a bug in the compiler?
> bla = func_name;
> and
> bla = var_name;
> are both valid C statements, it's a bug if they "fixed" it.

both are valid, not together...  what are you trying to do here?

I am not saying -Wshadow is useless. In the snippet below the warning
is valid (and GCC 4.7 correctly warns about it):

int f(void)
{
        return 0;
}

int main(void)
{
        int f = 0;
        return f++;
}

However in the following snippet there's no way the programmer would
be confused about signal:

#include <signal.h>

int main(void)
{
        int signal = 0;

        return signal;
}

signal is a pointer to a function that lives in another TU.  What I am
saying is essentially the same Linus said on his email I pointed out.

> Furthermore, as mike said, it does no harm, and having a warning free
> compilation is very important.

sure. and I agreed with the exception of useless warnings. For
example, here with gcc 4.7 I didn't have the problem he "fixed".

> unused-parameter is a very useful warning, I wouldn't ignore it if I were
> you.

What am I missing?  Do you have an example in real world that turning
this warning on discovered a bug?  I never saw one.  And this was
after turning it on on projects that previously didn't have it.

> The only place unused parameter is uselessly annoying is callbacks.

oh... there you got it... our libs are all about callbacks and that's
why I hate -Wunused-parameter. I hate "fixing" warnings by simply
shutting up the compiler with var attributes. A warning is relevant
only when it points to real problems.

Lucas De Marchi