2013/1/14 Tom Hacohen <t...@stosb.com>

> Hey,
>
> Now that we have a single EFL tree, we can and probably should merge the
> python/whatever bindings as well.
>
> To be honest, it's not something I have the time or interest to do, just
> sending this reminder in case anyone is.

Hi all!
I'm instead really intrested in this work, in real I started yet on this, I
have
a python-efl tree locally.
I have done some test/tryout in the last 2/3 weeks to see how we can
improve/simplify the bindings...but, to be honest, there are a lot of stuff
to be done and I can't afford this alone.

To start we need to discuss well what we want/need, so I'm going to list
here all the idea I have in my mind:

1. python3 compatibility - for this goal we need to remove the metaclass
stuff from all the code, I have done this point without problems in my tests

2. merging the tree will make it natural to use a container package, thus
once
merged you will need to import as:
>>>from efl import evas
instead of:
>>>import evas

3. windoz compatibility - I really do not mind this point but has been
requested
some times. I think the fault here is compiling the bindings without
ecore_x, probably the problem are some call to ecore_x_* also in ecore.Evas.
This also let me think that all the non-x engines are broken :/

4. Eo: coding an Eo base class in python seems to be a good choice, we can
move there lots of code that now are duplicated around the libs: objects
ref/unref,
Object_from_instance, callbacks, touni/fruni/cfruni and stuff can be shared
in the base Eo class) Also Eo weak reference need to be investigated, can be
usefull here.

5. (this is my dream) Do we really need to bind all the ecore_evas, ecore_x
and in
general ecore_* stuff ? why not just remove them? we have elm now, we dont
need
anymore to use EcoreEvas just to create a win. Python is high level we
should stay there

6. should elm be included in the python-efl tree? or alone as in c?

ok, seems enough, too much work for me :(
but imo having a single tree is necessary to simplify the release
processes, that
have zero man resource atm