Ok, just had a short chat with Behdad.
He says that you are right and fontconfig should not be init and shutdown.
I disagree with this design choice, but apparently
that's how it is in fontconfig so arguing against it or disagreeing will
get us nowhere. ;)
Either someone will apply this patch, or I'll do it today/tomorrow/as soon
as I can.

Thanks.

--
Tom.