On 15/02/13 10:45, Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Feb 2013 13:41:59 +0300 المسالم المسالمة
> <almusalimalmusali...@gmail.com> said:
>
>>> what? do what gnome did? :) ie lose users. :) seriously. the old fashioned
>>> look
>>> is what e is doing (by default) and that's because its what people
>>> generally
>>> want or accept. if you want something else its as easy as configuring -
>>> making
>>> your own profiles from your config, adding modules or writing them, making
>>> themes etc. - it's not something core to e itself. :)

>> i am with you about customizing the desktop with what we already get
>>
>> but i am also here to share an idea with you .... if you dont want to hear
>> it
>>
>> then its your decision and i respect it
>>
>> i am not here to force you and other people to share it
> happy to listen, but there will be resistance to changing a default away from
> something traditional that people like and know and can use. gnome made that
> mistake.. and then didnt offer a "quick - give me back what i had" option. we
> should, if anything, do experiments in alternative profiles, not the standard.
> small improvements to the standard one - sure. little tweaks and improvements
> -
> yes. major re-creations that leave people wondering how to use e.. bad.

Are there any plans to re-instate buttons? Like the ones in e16, but better.

A configurable block like that could prove really useful, it was doing
what hover desk did before hover desk did it. Now that we have these
shevles which can be placed where ever I'm assuming that it may only
take a module to be created to enable this, in fact this module could be
block configurable for specific applications. You could set it up so
that the primary applications take up a larger percentage of space over
the less used ones, it could be an extension of favourites and/or have
it's own application set.

and instead of having the pager shown, that could be hidden as the
applications that get launched are placed on their own desktop. I
wouldn't like to see this as default, just throwing out some ideas based
on current technologies. I'd also like to point that this is all
hypothetical as I have no idea how to build these elements in code, just
how they might function & look from a design perspective.

pixelmasochist.net : it all heppens there.