jose_ogp wrote:

>    Apologies for the email client... nothing I can do at the moment.
> But to clarify the replies a bit: The first one was intended as a reply
> to Cedric's comment on virtual desktops, the latter one was a reply to
> Tom Hacohen on his comment regarding the ease of creating profiles.
>
>    In any case, this is something I've discussed somewhat at length with
> both Cedric and Vincent, and somewhat with Carsten... everyone seems
> to have their own views on what's best.

      Ok, email client (maybe) fixed...

     Just thought I'd take the opportunity while I'm at this to send everyone
here some links related to this notion of "shell" theming, for those that may
be unfamiliar with this notion -- it's been around a long time, especially in
the
MS Windows world of customization.

      The overall notion of theming (or skinning as it's also sometimes called)
when it comes to the full gui-shell experience, can be broken down into several
sub-systems.
      For example, one that themes the window decorations/menus/etc, one that
themes say init/splash screens, one that themes background wallpapers, one
that themes icon sets, etc... Current e17 (plus say fdo) has those sub-systems
and one can create and share such themes.

      But one in particular that is missing in e is the ability to 'theme' the
desktop
gui-shell itself -- ie. to specify what themed 'gadgets' to place where on the
desktop,
what kinds of virtual desktops to have and with what on them, etc.

      This capability is there in e17, but only for each user to setup.. it's
not a
sub-system that has an easily exported/imported bundle like decoration themes,
wallpaper themes, splash themes, etc.

      In the Windows world, one does find exactly that missing sub-system...
done by
several third-parties. Two well-known ones are Stardock's "DesktopX"
(proprietary)
and "Rainmeter" (gpl), though there are several others (Stardock itself also
offers
the other kinds of subsystems.. window decorations, wallpapers, splash, icons,
etc).

      Just to give you an idea of what this gui-shell skinning can be like,
here are
links to repos where you can find multitudes of them.

      First, here's a repo for DesktopX desktop-shell themes:

http://www.wincustomize.com/explore/desktopx_themes/sort/popular/sortby/halloffame

       There are literally thousands of these made by people... You can spend
time browsing thru them (and note btw that screenshots alone will not do these
justice as they are often very animated, see videos later below).

       And here is a repo for Rainmeter desktop-shell themes:

http://www.customize.org/rainmeter/skins

       Again, there are thousands of them for everyone to browse thru... some
are
fairly moderate, some fairly extreme.

       These skins/themes are usually very animated and you can see some
example videos (elaborate showcase ones) here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zukaxUYlfZQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBMGe4vjLTE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW-ohF9tRI8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-P-NdDvSVk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujdKSrptsPA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k12R_FRPsso
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCCX9HuPb-Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_MekUL2SWs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn2FpdI5-C0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2KvbI-P-ak

      Hopefully the above will give everyone who hasn't been exposed to this
a good idea of what be accomplished.
      It's something which e could also have with just a bit of work, and I
think
would help raise e's popularity (as well as provide some interesting and/or
useful environments).