Hello.

On 10/30/2013 01:40 PM, Ulisses Furquim wrote:
> Hi Stefan,
>
> On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 12:01 PM, Stefan Schmidt <s.schm...@samsung.com>
> wrote:
>> Hello.
>>
>> Mike requested me to let you know that he also explains things in his
>> second reply (16.10.2013) which you seem to ignore.
>
> Yeah, I was confused by the crash mentioned by Raster, but now I
> understand the real problem and Mike did say that in his e-mail. I'm
> still not sure why we were having that.

At least it cleared some things up.

>> On 10/29/2013 12:20 PM, Ulisses Furquim wrote:
>>
>> [snap]
>>
>>> I was trying to understand the bug being fixed and yes, it's minor and
>>> I can just leave it as that. However, we need to improve the way we do
>>> development as an open source project. It's kind of embarrassing that
>>> we don't have proper usage of version control, good commit messages,
>>> reviews, release schedule and so on. :-/
>>
>> And you thing that will improve just by complaining about it? It will
>> definitely not. It only improves if you actively work on changing
>> things. I few examples for you what did improve over the last 1.5 years:
>>
>> o Daniel and Tom migrated us over to git and helped people with using is
>> as well as bringing in best practices piece by piece (developer repos
>> and branches, possible merge work flows, complains about commit
> messages)
>>
>> o Daniel and I did a lot of work to get CI up to speed and improved it
>> in various ways
>>
>> o I started to do coverity builds and other QA stuff to raise awareness
>
> You did great, really.
>
>> o During the latest dev day we discussed about release and raster
>> suggested a time based schedule (just think about this. I would never
>> seen that coming some time ago). I signed up for doing the first trial
>> of this for the 1.9 efl release.
>
> So I heard from Sachiel. It's great and it's what we've been asking
> Raster for a quite long time. :-)

Its a slow process but at least we are starting it now.

>> That are just a few things. I actually think we improved a lot over the
>> last 1.5 years. Still not where I want us to be but we are making more
>> progress than I hoped for.
>
> Agreed.
>
>> All things only works if someone steps up and ACTIVELY does something.
>> You want more review? Great! There has been a chance with the cserv2
>> branch just recently but nobody really did a public review. I see you
>> doing reviews on the async stuff which is good but if you want more
>> people doing it you need to lead by doing so yourself even on other
> patches.
>
> Yes, I'm not arguing here. And each one is putting the time it has
> available on the project. Thus that's why I mentioned commit messages,
> splitting better the patches and so on, because all of this make the
> life of whoever is reviewing easier.

Sure, I also try to push for that. But reality teaches me that this is
also a very slow process and best brought forward by leading with
examples. Even if every "mo mo mo" commit message from raster sets us
back in this process. To be fair he also got a bit better with his
messages. :)

>> Don't complain about everything is shitty just because you don't like
>> how this one patch was handled. Look at the whole picture and improve by
>> actively helping out where help is needed. And yes, we should discuss
>> this in a different thread
>
> Oops, I didn't start a new thread and I'm not sure if we need one. My
> rant was broader that it had to be, but it seems we agree there's
> still a lot of room for improvements.

There is. I just wanted to point out that we are making progress. I
think we can close this part of the thred again now. :)

regards
Stefan Schmidt