At Wed, 30 Oct 2013 12:09:52 -0400 Enlightenment users discussion & support
<enlightenment-us...@lists.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Just to chime in with 10c's worth.
>
> This is my personal preference, working examples atleast as a base works
> for me ( examples as in code )...  Documentaions words are ok for the nitty
> gritty but not as a substitute for a good example.
>
> If you look at most tech books, the question is how many of us read any of
> them cover to cover?.

But *I* do find them *very* useful, even if I don't read them cover to cover.
Often reading a page here or there (or even a whole section) if *very* useful,
and *not* because of the included examples.  And an *important* part of any
tech book is its index and/or table of contents -- either/both of these gets
me to the page or section I need to read.

> Probably near none at all, so really for me thats enough said.

The main problem with documentation-by-example is what happens when there
isn't an example that covers the question at hand? Or (worse) when the
example's name or title does not fully suggest or explain what it is an
example of. Also, sometimes it is critical when looking at examples that there
is some explaination of the concepts involved. Examples alone can never really
explain how to do things, if the *underlying* concepts are not either known or
else explained. For example, what does 'swallow' mean in the context of edje?
The code in e_menu is using this, but I have no clue as to what is going on
and the swallow example does not really *explain* what is going on, it just
shows you how to use it, without explaining why you would do it or what
its purpose is. Somehow, I don't think it has anything to do with eating or
birds (but maybe it does?).

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933 / hel...@deepsoft.com