On Sun, 2013-11-03 at 14:49 +0900, Carsten Haitzler wrote:

> On Sat, 02 Nov 2013 08:55:50 +0000 Thomas Strobel <ts...@cam.ac.uk> said:
>
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I wanted to extend Evas' pointer for a way to selectively grab certain
> > events, while repeating others. After looking at the event system for a
> > while, I'm currently thinking that the cleanest way would probably be to
> > extend Evas' pointer struct for a list which keeps track of all grabbed
> > object, and to use the current pointer.objects.in to just account for
> > objects where the pointer is "pointing" into.
> >
> > Changing Evas on such a deep level could trigger a lot of side effects,
> > and so I wanted to ask you if you had any idea how to implement a
> > selective event grabbing?
>
> yes. it will. which means the current behavior has to stay and NEW behavior
> has
> to be explicitly requested. that is possible. (eg request a new pointer grab
> mode).
>
> now the use i can see is actually multitouch and./or pen support WHEN you want
> pen ANd mouse AND touch all to be independent and not linked (touch doesnt
> affect mouse - pen does not either etc.). and at least for the case of multi
> touch where you may want each touch point to have its own grab "pointer.in"
> list thats separate of the primary (first) touch/mouse.

Or, Multi-pointer X, but that's not quite what I'm after. I am looking
for a way to grab certain events from one pointer with an object, let's
say DOWN/UP, let the object follow others, e.g. MOVE, but still forward
the non-grabbed events back into the object hierarchy.

> > A selective event grabbing would be very handy to implement a drag and
> > drop system for Evas objects.
> >
> > Many thanks in advance!
>
> what about the current event system disallows for implementing dnd? :)

To me it seems that currently an object needs to grab the mouse pointer
to get e.g. MOVE updates and UP events. But this means that other
objects can't receive IN/OUT events anymore, and so they can't detect
whether the dragging pointer went in or not. Or, is there a smart way
around?

Cheers,

  Thomas