On Mon, Dec 2, 2013 at 11:05 PM, Carsten Haitzler <ras...@rasterman.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Dec 2013 22:57:04 -0200 Rafael Antognolli <antogno...@gmail.com>
> said:
>
>> On Mon, Dec 2, 2013 at 10:42 PM, Carsten Haitzler <ras...@rasterman.com>
>> wrote:

>> > http://git.enlightenment.org/core/efl.git/
>> >
>> > cgit can see it.
>>
>> Doug is right. The tagged commit is not in the efl-1.8 branch (not
>> even on master).
>>
>> This is the 1.8.1 commit on efl-1.8 branch:
>> https://git.enlightenment.org/core/efl.git/commit/?h=efl-1.8&id=2af23d998a3be6dc4ef6e9c48d0927821d808014
>>
>> And this is the commit that was tagged as v1.8.1:
>> https://git.enlightenment.org/core/efl.git/commit/?id=dbc8e3cef9a414bf55dba3f3ddf4e08b85c48b1e
>>
>> They are different commits.
>>
>> And I don't know why, but it appears on cgit but doesn't on a local
>> branch unless you fetch with --tags. I tried to clone the repository
>> again, in a new location, and it still doesn't show the tag. Maybe
>> it's because it's not in any branch, so no reason to fetch the tag.
>
> well i tagged and i had to fix a conflict as well so maybe the tag got "lost"
> during the conflict fix somehow. i don't know what git was doing there, but i
> committed, tagged and pushed - push failed due to upstream having changed "yet
> again!" (seriously. this is why i try to push early because if you don't you
> end
> up here even more often - git is not a silver bullet), so i pulled, pull had a

The problem is that you tagged one commit and pushed a rebased commit
*and* the tagged commit (that now isn't on any branch). That's maybe
one reason to force the "--tags" to actually push the tags. You can
always push the commits first and later tag what is already public.

Btw, you can see these things on your machine more easily by using
tig, gitk or the like.

Lucas De Marchi